Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is a pledge-based fundraiser where men walk in women’s heels to raise awareness of family violence, and funds to support YWCA Edmonton violence prevention and recovery programs. Only men can participate in the walk; however, women play a big role as a Walk a Mile in Her Shoes ally. Women can encourage and challenge men to participate and raise funds to help women and children walk away from family violence. Men can register as an individual, create a team, or join an existing team. Each walker is encouraged to raise $1,000 in pledges to help us meet our goal of $160,000. Proceeds from this event fund YWCA Edmonton counselling centre and violence prevention and recovery programs. YWCA Edmonton needs your help to raise funds to support critical programs and services that help women and families walk away from domestic violence.
Date Wednesday, September 21, 2016
Time 11:30 a.m. Registration and shoe pick-up (heels are provided)
12 – 1 p.m. Program and walk (complimentary lunch provided for registrants)
Location Sir Winston Churchill Square, Downtown, Edmonton
Fundraising Tips to Help You Be Successful
- The #1 reason people don’t give is that they are not asked.
- The #1 reason people do give is that it makes them feel good!
6 Tips to reach $ 1,000 … and beyond:
- Initiate your fundraising campaign over social media. Choose a captivating profile pic and caption to draw curiosity from your followers. Feel free to select facts from our website and Facebook page, or YWCA written material regarding domestic violence, and follow up with your personal reasons for supporting. An informed audience is more likely to support a cause if they understand what it is.
- Ask a few close friends or family members to pledge you $100, and follow up with a few friends that will likely pledge you $50. This will set the bar for following donors. Make sure these donors and their amounts are well acknowledged in your network and over social media immediately.
- Ask your employer for a company contribution of $500 (or more). Check with your human resources department to see if they offer matching gifts. Your employer (in addition to yourself) may also encourage staff involvement over and above a monetary contribution.
- Request a corporate donation from a business you support. Suggest a corporate match to your final donation total. Offer to plug them on social media.
- Suggest a manageable dare to an audience that will hold you accountable to your idea. This will build interest to donate larger sums for your fundraising. Don’t be afraid to bring out your creative side!Create a scenario that places you out of your comfort zone – and do it in heels! For example, wearing them to the office, or going to get coffee.
- Instigate a competition with a buddy or a group. Bring on the bragging rights! Prompt a fun and friendly rivalry, which will in turn generate more funding for the cause.
Experience has taught us that if you get your family, friends, and coworkers involved you will have a lot more fun, as well as reap the benefits of team building.
On behalf of YWCA Edmonton, and the women and families we serve, we thank you in advance for your support.
Have more Questions? Contact Linda Miller, 780.970.6509 or email L.Miller@ywcaedm.org
For more information and to register, donate and/or volunteer, please visit www.walkamileedmonton.org