Local Lethbridge businesses shared the true spirit of Christmas by donating items and stuffing 400 “Goodie Bags of Love” for people in need this holiday season. On December 14th, 25 volunteers from Zero Gravity Cranes & Rigging Inc., My Automotive, Lealta Building Supplies, Russell Grain & Cattle, Lone Pine Embroidery, and Sun Dental Group donated the “goodies” and gave back to the community by volunteering their time to assemble 400 Christmas goodie bags for Streets Alive Mission clients. Hayley Feter from Zero Gravity Cranes & Rigging Inc. says, “Each year we try and find an organization here in town that inspires us. A while back I had a chance to volunteer on the Streets Alive bus and it sparked my interest in Streets Alive. This organization is inspiring, important to our community and the work they do is so incredibly hard.” She added, “ We want to give back to this community and this organization that works tirelessly behind the scenes.”
The gift bags packed by these volunteers contain a selection of fun and useful items, from candy canes, assorted food and personal hygiene products, to warm gloves and socks. Each bag is valued at about $25 each. The “Goodie Bags” are delivered by volunteers the week before Christmas to those less fortunate living in single-room accommodations downtown, shelters and treatment centres. For many, this is the only gift they will receive. The “Goodie Bags” communicate clearly that these people are not forgotten, or abandoned, and that they are LOVED.
- Streets Alive Mission began as the vision of three women back in 1989 to reach out to the impoverished and homeless people in Lethbridge.
- Streets Alive Mission has seen six different locations and is now located at 323 4 Street South, in downtown Lethbridge.
- There are 13 programs run by Streets Alive Mission, including a People In Need (PIN) Bank, a Mobile Meals Unit, and a Mobile Medical Unit. All of these programs are provided by generous donations of community supporters, and teams of committed volunteers. No government funding is used for Streets Alive Mission programs.
- Streets Alive Mission serves over 100 people per day, on average, through their programs.
- Last year alone, Streets Alive Mission provided 2,983 full sets of clothing to people in need, as well as 50,000 sandwiches for those living on the streets or in the shelter and low-income hotels around downtown Lethbridge.
Streets Alive Mission is dedicated to bringing hope to those who have none, by building relationships with the disenfranchised, through a variety of volunteer driven programs.
For more information please contact:
Associate Director of Philanthropy
323 4 Street South, Lethbridge AB T1J 1Z9