The Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW) is celebrating National Social Work Week through a series of activities celebrating the important work that social workers do together with public and stakeholders. National Social Work week is a time to educate the public about the wide range of professional services and supports provided by Registered Social Workers in varied fields of practice. This year’s theme “the power to empower” highlights the role social workers have to help people, families and communities across the country to create real change around real life issues. Every year in March, Canada celebrates the important contributions of these social justice professionals!
Activities to watch for:
- A Social Work Film Festival – In partnership with the National Film Board, social workers are hosting screenings of a number of films highlighting issues of social justice or aspects of social work practice. These screenings are free to attend. Please see http://www.acsw.ab.ca/site/social-work-week%202017(new)?nav=sidebar for locations across Alberta, times and details.
— In Edmonton, this event will be at the Citadel Theatre Monday, March 6 starting with a reception at 6:30 pm.
— In Calgary, this will be Wednesday, March 8 at the Cardel Theatre starting at 6:00 pm.Both Edmonton and Calgary will be lighting up their bridges in honour of Social Workers! On the evening of March 6, the High Level Bridge in Edmonton will be magenta in colour. Likewise, the Reconciliation Bridge bridge in Calgary will be lit on the night of March 8.
- Promotional Video highlighting Social Workers in diverse fields of practice and places in their careers. The video will be released during social work week and shared through social media and on our website.
- Posters highlighting the 2017 Social Work Week theme “The Power to Empower” are available for download from http://acsw.in1touch.org/site/social-work-week?nav=sidebar or upon request from the ACSW.
- Proclamations made by various municipal governments through Alberta officially proclaiming March 5-11, 2017 as Social Work Week.
- Networking events are being hosted throughout the province. See http://www.acsw.ab.ca/site/social-work-week%202017(new)?nav=sidebar for details.
- A number of social work education providers and employers will be hosting functions to celebrate their colleagues.
National Social Work Week from March 5 to March 11, 2017, is time to celebrate and honour the profession of Social Work by:
- Educating the public about the wide range of roles social workers perform
- Heightening the professional profile of Registered Social Workers (RSWs)
- Encouraging organizations who employ Registered Social Workers and the communities that benefit from their efforts, to celebrate the role and contribution of RSWs by hosting a wide variety of events.
About the Alberta College of Social Workers:
The ACSW represents the social work profession in Alberta with an objective to serve and protect public interest through strengthened professional networks and regulation of the profession. The organization provides professional association activities that help promote skilled and ethical social work practice to serve Albertans.
For more information, please contact Executive Director and Registrar, Lynn Labrecque King at firstname.lastname@example.org.